Monday, October 8, 2012

Miracle Diets





As a person who has struggled with weight loss issues since the birth of my youngest son almost 17 years ago, I find myself more and more attracted to the idea of a “miracle diet” that actually works.  This is true especially as I have aged and  my metabolism has began slowing which unfortunately comes with age.  I have spent obscene amounts of money over the years in my quest, against my better judgment most times.  I find myself, family, friends and strangers attracted to and lured into a “miracle diet”, especially those endorsed by celebrities.  Causing me to question what is it that draws people into truly believing the claims these diets makeWhatever happened to good old fashioned eating right and exercise?  Have we become a society so accustomed to the quick fix that we expect to take a pill, some drops, or a powder and magically shed pounds? 

I have been raised to believe and embrace the saying that if something is too good to be true, it usually is.  With that in mind, what is the allure of these diets that cause people to throw good sense to the wind?  I have noticed many of these miracle diets have before and after photos that I have spent entirely too much time examining trying to see if it really is the same person.  After consideration I decided that yes, it is the same person I still have managed to talk myself into giving it a go. Why is it that my first mind says that it is somehow a photo shop picture and people that are paid to talk up the product Yet inevitably, in the next breath I am ordering the product.

~ Why is it that people find the "miracle diet" believable? 
~ How does celebrity influence and advertising schemes contribute to the sales and believability of these products?

I plan to dig deeper into the lure of miracle diets, their advertising and celebrity endorsements in the hopes of shedding some light on the draw of the “miracle diet”.

1 comment:

  1. I particularly like your question about "what is the allure of these diets that cause people to throw good sense to the wind?" This could apply to other things beyond miracle diets. So often as humans we are drawn to things that go against our better judgment.

    ReplyDelete