While on my research journey to discover the lure of the
"miracle diet", I have actually discovered that not only does this
diet not exist, but these diets on the market are potentially very dangerous
and unhealthy. I have also discovered that there is limited regulation
of these diets or their marketing. Since my last blog I have decided that
I need more information on the marketing regulations, as well as the possible
dangerous ingredients in some of these miracle diet plans. I began my
search for further answers on the FDA web site where I found a "Questions and Answers section about FDA’s Initiative against Contaminated Weight Loss Products." In this Q & A section of the FDA website, I found claims
that the FDA is not responsible for ensuring the safety of the products. The safety testing and accurate labeling of
these products is left to the manufacturer.
I discovered that the FDA has found prescription drugs in some
of the miracle diets on the market. Surprisingly,
the FDA has at times asked for a recall of the products or sent the companies warning
letters. In other words, no real consequences and very little public awareness. I found that many times ingredients are not even listed on the labels,
nor are the manufacturers.
There is a department within the FDA called the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. The CDER is supposed to regulate over-the-counter and prescription drugs, including biological therapeutics and generic drugs. This covers more than just medicines. For example, fluoride toothpaste, antiperspirants, dandruff shampoos and sunscreens are all considered "drugs".
There is a department within the FDA called the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. The CDER is supposed to regulate over-the-counter and prescription drugs, including biological therapeutics and generic drugs. This covers more than just medicines. For example, fluoride toothpaste, antiperspirants, dandruff shampoos and sunscreens are all considered "drugs".
~ I have to
question why is there still such loose regulation when there is a division of
the FDA designed to regulate these miracle diets, (along with shampoo,
sunscreen etc.)?
~Why does the FDA allow the manufacturers to label and market these products based simply on the manufacturers’ word?
~ Why does the FTC allow the false advertising of these products? Aren’t these government agencies put in place to protect consumers from fraud and harmful products?
~Why does the FDA allow the manufacturers to label and market these products based simply on the manufacturers’ word?
~ Why does the FTC allow the false advertising of these products? Aren’t these government agencies put in place to protect consumers from fraud and harmful products?
That video by the FDA is interesting, especially in light of how LITTLE the agency does to prevent this fraud. It's as if by producing this 1-minute video clip, they are absolving themselves of true responsibility.
ReplyDeleteOh, and as for why the FDA has so little regulatory power: corporations, especially the pharmaceutical industries. The pharmaceutical industries spend tons of money lobbying for laws that help them sell more products. This laxity then spills over into the diet industry.
ReplyDelete