My concern regarding the safety issues and false advertising led me to research further on consumer protection laws. I began my research on Google which led me to consumer law.com, leading me further to The Bureau of Consumer Protection, a division of the FTC.
The information I found in both sources is that false and/or misleading advertising to persuade consumers into buying a product through false or misleading statements is in fact illegal. There are regulations in place to prevent the false advertising of products - miracle diets included. Consumers have the right to receive accurate information so they can make informed decisions.
The practice of deceiving consumers by these misleading ads is alive and well. I realize there are laws and regulations to prevent the misleading of the consumer; however, the misleading of consumers' is an on-going problem. I have watched the videos and ads for these diets and I can see where they are misleading. I have purchased these products. There is a loophole in product labeling so to speak, in that as long as they include the disclaimer somewhere in little bitty type stating that the product is not intended for... or, may have harmful side effects...or, results may vary... This seems to appease the FDA and/or the FTC because these products are out there and many are dangerous.
I am lead to believe that there are too many branches of "protection" involved in the regulation of these goods to actually protect us as consumers.
~Why isn't there one agency specified for miracle diet safety, truth in advertising and manufacturing?
No comments:
Post a Comment